AOS Group is seeking a self-motivated and experienced software engineer with an interest in highly challenging software development to join its project delivery team in Melbourne, Australia. The ideal candidate will already be an accomplished, technically capable software engineer, who is looking to exercise their design and lead capabilities. You will be part of a dedicated team, designing and developing software solutions for sophisticated autonomous systems used in many different domains.
AOS is the world's leading developer and supplier of autonomous decision-making software products. C-BDI™, JACK® and CoJACK™ provide the tools required to develop autonomous and intelligent software systems that are both goal-directed and reactive. Intelligent agent-based systems are built from distributed reasoning entities that cooperate to achieve their goals. AOS is one of the very few companies that have commercially deployed such systems.
AOS is an exciting company to work with, it is an unusual opportunity to work in Australia at the forefront of “high tech” software, and compete directly with companies in world-class high technology hubs such as California, Cambridge UK or Seattle. Autonomous systems are rapidly becoming feasible. Our products are installed in the latest generation of Unmanned Air Vehicles and are used by the world’s largest offshore oil operator.
AOS Group is comprised of Agent Oriented Software Pty Ltd (Melbourne, Australia); Agent Oriented Software Limited (Cambridge, UK); and Agent Oriented Software, Inc. (Chicago & Houston, USA).
As AOS undertakes contracts for the Australian Department of Defence, the applicant must be eligible for Australian Citizenship and be willing to apply for Australian Defence Security Clearance if required. This position may also require domestic or international travel to AOS offices and customer sites.
Technical excellence in software engineering (full SDLC) is a pre-requisite and the following demonstrable skills, knowledge and proven experience in the following are required:
- Object Oriented Analysis & Design methodologies, e.g. UML;
- Ability to progressively refine components from high-level design to delivery;
- Comfortable conducting detailed technical design discussions and reviews;
- Capable of clearly documenting system or component design outcomes;
- Experienced in the application of design patterns;
- Preparedness to work within Architectural and Legislative constraints;
- Ability to lead, mentor, and motivate a team of engineers;
- Strong design skills; and,
- Accurate effort estimating.
Essential skills, attributes and expertise:
- Tertiary qualified with BSc or MSc in a computing / software engineering field;
- Minimum 3-year commercial experience with C++;
- Exposure to multiple SDLC methodologies;
- Formal design controls, process architecture & process engineering;
- Proactive, inventive, pragmatic, collaborative and communicative with your peers and management, to progress solution delivery;
- Experience working with two or more of: RTOS, embedded systems, Mac OS, Linux;
- Initiative and good interpersonal skills required to deal in a highly innovative environment and working with highly-qualified and geographically distributed engineers and scientists;
- Ability to prioritise project objectives and manage work tasks and time; and,
- Flexible and positive attitude with good interpersonal and collaboration abilities.
Desired skills and experience
- Commercial experience with safety-critical and/or embedded software development (DO-178B or equivalent highly regarded);
- Commercial experience with Artificial Intelligence including Intelligent Software Agents, and Machine Learning (experience in JACK® highly regarded);
- Experience with formal logics and formal methods, in particular formal and operational semantics of programming languages;
- Experience in formal verification and validation methodologies (e.g. abstract interpretation and model checking);
- Experience in aerospace, defence, oil & gas or similar engineering domains;
- Experience in distributed systems (pub/sub, client/server, and peer-to-peer systems); and,
- Experience in presenting directly to users/customers.
Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Direct applicants only, no recruiters/third party vendors, please.